Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cow poo makes me happy!

Maybe a little too excited, but when the farmer came by this weekend to ask if we were too busy to help pick up a few loads for the garden, I had to take a few deep breaths to keep from dancing about the yard (the farmer already thinks I'm strange enough, I don't need to encourage that notion). I've been waiting for this very moment for a few months now. To me, the completion of the garden beds is a true sign of spring; time to get growing!

I have to say as hubby & the farmer crossed the field in the tractor, laden with manure, I fell in love with him all over again (my husband, not the farmer - although he's a sweetie-pie too!). This is the way my man shows me just how much he cares, taking time out of his day to do something that is only important to me. Hubby doesn't even like vegetables .

Now my garden beds are top-dressed with a few inches of 3-year old & well rotten manure. I used the old straw included to create mounds for my strawberries. I also filled in to the wet spots in my garden between the rows so I shouldn't have any more issues with mud-puddles.

Of course, since the farmer was happy to get ride of it and help out with the garden, the cost of all this lovely nutrient rich soil was my favourite price - FREE. I am expecting a great bounty from the garden this year; it will certainly be well fed. I may have to visit the farmer with a few jars of sauce and maybe a pumpkin or two in the fall.

Now, if I could just keep the cows off my back fence & away from the tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment