Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's almost time for Pickles!

In truth, I despise pickles. I hate their texture, I hate their taste, I hate the way they look. I am not a pickle-fan. I do love cucumbers though, and salty cucumbers - so go figure! I also really enjoy making pickles. This year I planted both straight-8 cucumbers for eating and calypso for pickles.

Last year was my first attempt with canning, and since everyone is still alive I actually bought myself some real canning equipment this year & I'm all ready to go for it! I had some wonderful videos I followed last year that I have now lost the link for, but You Tube is filled with way more then just pirated movie clips and music videos. There are tons of how-to videos from regular people, lots with really great information. Basically you need a pot, some jars, a few tea-towels and a jar lifter (learned that one the hard way!) in addition to the contents of your jars.

All I can really offer it the moral support as I'm still pretty new at canning. Go for it! It's really not as scary as you think it's going to be. You can impress all your friends and family as well as saving all those veggies from the garden that otherwise would go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment