Tuesday, June 29, 2010

G#!@ &$#@ BUGS!!

When you decide you're going to be an organic gardener you really have to go at it whole-hog. Of course there is nothing wrong with deciding to use pesticides if that's what's right for you, but if you want to make that commitment to organic gardening that sometimes means grinning and bearing it when the bugs win. It started with just a few tiny holes in my cauliflower leaves, then my Arugula developing a few love-bites, then a little more off the cauliflower, and total inhalation of the Arugula. The holes in the cauliflower aren't going to kill the plant, but they do reduce the production capacity and make for smaller vegetables. I can deal with a nip or two of of the outer-leaves of my lettuce, but the Arugula was completely inedible, it was terribly sad smelling that sweet peppery aroma as I ripped them out for the compost. *sigh* They smelled SO good!

The best organic way to prevent bugs is proper crop-rotation and distribution. I know for next time the flea beetles suspected of being the culprit will attack both cauliflower and arugula, and now I know for next time to plant them further apart (in this case they were about 3', next time, either sides of the garden!). I later found cabbage worm in my cauliflower! BOO HISS! A floating row cover would have prevented them from being laid on my lovely vegetables.

The best organic way to treat for bugs is a soap and water solution. You use 1 part liquid soap: 4 parts water in spray bottle and it really knocks the bugs on their bums. You do need to keep it up every day, also you need to be careful not to burn your plant's leaves (especially with lettuces!) with too much soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment